TUTOR TRAINING: Varies. Please CALL to register. 254-4586
About the Adult Literacy Program:
WCPL’s Adult Literacy Program provides free one-to-one tutoring service to learners within the City Limits of Washington, Indiana (because the library’s taxing district is only the City). It also provides public awareness activities to recruit, train, and match volunteer tutors with adults in need of basic reading skills. The program is under the direction of the library director and operates with volunteer tutors and monetary donations from the community/grants.
For Potential Literacy Students (Learners)
Tutors are trained to assess the students’ needs. Therefore, each student/tutor program is personalized and confidential. Each student is instructed with basic reading skills. Writing assignments will be part of the learning as well as beginning computer literacy.
Tutoring is not held in a classroom but in a place suited to both student and tutor such as a library’s meeting room or other approved alternative sites. Potential students must:
- Be able to speak and understand English well enough to communicate basic information.
- Be at least 16 years old and no longer involved in any school system.
- Be able to demonstrate the ability to attend to task for the duration of the intake interview.
- Be willing to commit to at least 1.5 hours per week of instructional time and additional study time.
- Be able to get to the tutoring site without assistance from the program.
- Demonstrate a desire to learn
For Potential Volunteer Tutors
Community volunteers are trained to teach basic reading and writing skills in a 2 hour workshop. The workshop includes basic introduction to tutoring, literacy and application. Volunteers must:
- Be 16 years of age or older and have the recommendation from the high school guidance counselor. If you are out of high school you must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Speak and communicate in clear, understandable English.
- Commit to at least 1.5-2 hours of tutoring per week for a minimum (prep time is extra)